Frieght working at Castle Howard Station by Steve Ashenden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Please attribute and backlink to: www.castlehowardstation.com
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.castlehowardstation.com
Freight working at Castle Howard Station
Castle Howard Station was closed to passengers in 1930, but the goods yard remained in operation for freight traffic until 2 November 1959, when it, too, became excess to requirements. Perhaps the improvements made to the road system around that time, including the introduction of motorways, made it more attractive to use the flexibility of road transport.
The climb to a peak in the 1920s and the catastrophic drop only ten years later, are illustrated in the following figures which relate to the entire York to Scarborough line:
Over the years the goods yard at Castle Howard had been very important to the local community, for sending and receiving goods and produce around the country. In its heyday, the goods yard had also been invaluable to Castle Howard. This was not only for supply of the day-to-day provisions that such a large house needed, but also as a good way to get larger items like furniture and decorations to the house.
A good example of this was the baroque Atlas fountain, which came from the Great Exhibition of 1851 and replaced Vanbrugh’s column in the middle of the South Lawn. The five figures were carved in Portland stone by John Thomas and transported to Castle Howard railway station by steam train, a great achievement considering the size and weight of the fountain. The fountain is still in use today and is still very impressive despite its age.